Wednesday, April 16, 2008

BenQ W5000

Whilst I have been into front projection since 2000, I finally have moved to True HD [1920 x 1080] by way of the Benq W5000 DLP projector. Whist this projector makes the $3000+ projector class at AVSForums, this unit is actually considered an entry level device, even though it shares the same chassis as the higher specs models from Benq. After some tweaking, I think it is also looking much higher end as well :)

EDIT: I have made numerous attempts at getting the calibration correct, and therefore have updated the charts. These are current as of August 30 2009.

The Benq W5000
Like the more upmarket Benq model [W20000], the W5000 now has manual lens adjustments for zoom and focus which I prefer to the previous motorized version. Whilst a motorized version is handy, I have always found that the "exact" position seems to be either one tooth too far or not enough. With a manual focus, you can rock the focus to get that precisely sharp image every time.

The new Benq projectors now have 2 HDMI inputs as well as all of the previous analogue ins from the older models. Benq have given this projector an extremely flexible motorized lens shift, so I have been able to shelf mount this unit at the back of the seating area.

Whilst this model has full ISF capacity, I have chosen to only adjust the USER settings. I used my colorimeter to take the reading as I made adjustments and have decided to post them here.

Luminance Chart
Both Contrast and Brightness are now correct. Previously, I had contrast too high which resulted in a slight peak to the top of the curve.

Gamma Chart
The reference for Gamma is 2.2 and yet this is not the best I have seen it since using this software. I think I more work to here :(

RGB Levels
Over all I am happy with the image, however this is also not as flat as I have seen the charts. I do think that I did have the offsets slightly better in a previous calibration, but considering the course steps these controls offer, and the fact that the other charts are looking very good, I am prepared to take it as is for the time being.

Colour Temp
Pretty close to D6500K, but this is actually slightly warmer than what I have been able to get in the past, so will keep tweaking I guess :)

CIE Diagram
I am almost at 500 hours and whilst not perfect, this chart is the closest it has been.

Apparently there is a setting in either the service menu or possibly the ISF mode that allows the exact co-ordinance of each colour to be entered in. How good would that look?


The measurements were taken from reflected light off my OzTheatre Screen that uses Acoustic Vision [AT fabric] with a 1.16 gain.

Mark

Back To The Top